Wednesday 14 November 2007

Tempus Fugit

There is a wonderful old movie (old for me anyway) entitled "Cheaper by the Dozen". The movie to which I refer is the 1950 version as opposed to the bastardization of a remake and subsequent sequel that Steve Martin forced us all to endure beginning in 2003. The fine film of which I speak, (it stars Clifton Webb, Myrna Loy and Jeanne Crain--sorry but I had to show off my trivia chops!!!) is the true story of the Gilbreth family and specifically of it's patriarch Frank Gilbreth Sr. Mr Gilbreth was a pioneer in the field of motion study and time management. Among other things, he wrote how one could make efficient use of time by actually doing certain tasks by oneself. He himself laid bricks(I wish he still lived so he could come here), did daily chores and even performed minor surgeries on his children. (This scene is comically played out in the film as he assists the doctor with all of the kid's tonsillectomies done in the family living room!) The reason that the book and subsequent film are entitled "Cheaper by the Dozen" is because Gilbreth knew that at the turn of the 20th century, buying clothing, food and other sundry items were cheaper if bought by the dozen, so he and his wife set about having 12 children to take advantage of the bargains. (Sounds like a few coupon-clippers out there that are related to me!!) The long and the short of it is--Frank Gilbreth Sr. understood how fleeting time is and he wanted every second to count. Living through a demolition and reconstruction has taught me that time is a relative concept. Overall contractor: "Don't worry--Outside hunky contractor will be there on Wednesday!" He just failed to mention exactly which Wednesday, but that is a minor detail in the grand scheme of things. Outside Hunky contractor: "The re-bricking of the wall will begin bright and early on Monday morning and be finished that same day!" He neglected to include the following caveat: "If it doesn't rain, snow, hail, locusts, flies, flood or have temperatures hovering around zero!" I hate to mention how insecure I have felt in the house the last couple of nights, knowing that all that stood between us and a home invasion was a small piece of drywall. Inside reliable contractor and his crew show up every single day, like clockwork----at 3:00 in the afternoon and stay some days until after 10! Not that I am complaining. At least they show up, but I would like them to see me in something other than my sweats. They honestly must think that I am a severe depressive who never changes her clothes, washes infrequently and walks around with hair pulled back in a sad excuse for a ponytail. Obsessive compulsives are often time control freaks. We are rarely late. We set our clocks, both internal and external, to get us to our said appointments at least 1/2 hour early. We don't know from "Jewish Time". We understand order, datebooks, blackberries, palm pilots, schedules, watches set 10 minutes ahead and phoning when plans change. We are the types who invite our guests to our son's Bar Mitzvah 15 minutes ahead of the actual start time, because we don't want to be embarrassed by family members who wander in late!! (Yes-in case you were wondering-I did it twice!) We are not flighty and free. We are time-study men and women who just need to know how, when and where. Time indeed flies by much too quickly! I absolutely loathe when it is wasted!!

The Mason is here, the Mason is here!!! Sound the clarion call!! We may have a new wall this day! The Mason is here!!! We also have new lighting in the kitchen and the electrical work is almost done. There are some new photos (Check out the album) and more will be posted later. Those of you who have requested pics of the guys, will have to be patient. Inside reliable contractor will be here later and I will ask him, but Outside hunky has been more elusive. I will see what I can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment