Wednesday 9 January 2019

We Be Off Again

“Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” ~Gustav Flaubert

And so...

We are off once again.

In an ongoing attempt to expand our horizons and quench our wanderlust, The Husband and I are embarking on another adventure to places and sights previously unseen...by us at least. Heading south to the land below ours will afford me a privileged opportunity to put my feet on the soil of a fifth continent with a chance to cast a longing glance at a sixth. (Antartica will remain out of my desirous reach for the immediate future.) Once again, if you choose to follow our adventures, I will be providing a travelogue in this space. There will be some stories of places seen, people met, and hopefully, few travel mishaps. A few of The Husband's remarkable photographs might also grace these posts.

We have learned a lot about travel over the years so our bags are markedly lighter as we have taken far fewer clothing options, packed using smarter choices, and have avoided the bulk. We are also getting older, so while there may be fewer t-shirts there are also more drugs for any possible minor ailment one can imagine. God forbid I should need a GasEx in Cusco and not have one at the ready. I have more anti-puke medication then is probably necessary for our entire tour group to Machu Picchu but I have come to realize that half the battle in keeping the vomit at bay is my disturbed psyche simply knowing that I have enough to medicate the entire Canadian Navy, so cut me some slack. Stripping the shelves of Bonine at my local CVS  isn't at all weird.

The world is a big place being made to seem smaller every day. We think we understand all that is out there but until we get out of the protective bubbles we have built for ourselves, we run the risk of living very small and parochial lives. Travel, even travel that might seem different and a bit off the beaten path, is necessary to remind us that we are not alone here and that all of the world's inhabitants deserve a say in how we coexist.

I hope that I don't bore you all and that you find some measure of entertainment in seeing some of what we hope to see. See you soon from Lima.

“Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” ~Dalai Lama




1 comment:

  1. We were in Peru in the summer of 2017. I definitely suffered from the altitude but Machu Picchu is totally worth it. Have an amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete