Tuesday 5 December 2023

Is This Odd Or Is It Just Me?


Quick story to tell you all, but it is either really odd or I am simply old. You decide.

I ordered some workout clothes from a site on the intertoobs that I have often used. I like their fabrics, the fit is on point, and I have never had a problem with shipping in neither Canada nor the country below. When I went to visit the site on Black Friday, I noticed that they were having a sale, and I ordered two pairs of running shorts and two tops. (This little detail becomes important later.) The cost immediately came through on my credit card, and I was promised delivery via the United States Postal Service in six to ten business days. Weekends do not count in this equation even though USPS delivers on Saturdays. (I am not sure that any of my American friends realize what a big deal this is for those of us from other countries. We haven't had Saturday mail delivery in the Great White North for decades.)

I received emails from the company advising me of the order, the charge, and the expected delivery date. I was also given a tracking number from USPS. Last Friday, on December 1st, I received a notification from the postal service that my delivery had arrived. The company, taking their cues from USPS, also sent me an email that my package was here. I went down to the front desk of my building to retrieve the parcel, only to discover that contrary to my notifications, nothing had come from the company. I checked our postal box, just to be safe, and it was then that the security gent at the front desk told me that sometimes USPS scans packages as delivered, even though they weren't. It could sometimes take a couple of days for it to arrive. 

I was incredulous. I simply cannot understand why this is an acceptable business practice. I can't imagine how many angry calls and emails USPS must receive from customers searching for their packages, only to discover that the scan and deliver later is standard operating procedure. I decided to give it the weekend before I made inquiries of the sportswear apparel company.

Yesterday morning, I had a chat with said company. They were very nice and reiterated USPS policy. (BTW...when I went to the USPS website with my tracking number, it confirmed that the package had indeed been delivered and left at the front desk. Truly bizarre.) The company asked me to wait out the day yesterday as it was the policy to give USPS 48-hours during regular business hours to deliver the package. In the meantime, they put a note on the file that informed them that I would be checking back in with them today in the event of a non-delivery.

Today, I finally had enough. I once again made contact with the company, reiterated my concern that the package was indeed lost, and I required either a new shipment or a credit. After some hemming and hawing, they agreed that USPS had been derelict in the duties and we split the difference. They credited what they could no longer ship because it was now out of stock, AND they resent the remainder of the order.

Two hours later, I received a notification from my concierge that I had a package. (Come on! You knew it was coming, right?) The Husband retrieved the parcel and, lo and behold, it was my original order PLUS an extra pair of shorts. 

Hoo boy did I have guilt. 

I immediately went back to the apparel company and cancelled the reshipment. I explained what had occurred and they were very understanding. I tried to give back the credit, but they were lovely and told me to keep it. Very unnecessary but very nice.

I am still left with questions about the delivery practices of USPS. Personally, I think it is really stupid. If I get a delivery from FedEx or UPS, somebody has to sign for it. Why is it ok for the post office to tell me something is delivered when it clearly isn't, and I can't track it further nor complain about it?

Odd or old? Which is it? Am I just not comprehending the new realities or is this just weird? In the meantime, I have three new pairs of shorts, two new tops, and a $40.00 credit. I guess I win?

3 comments:

  1. Does your building have a notification policy when parcels arrive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Which is why I was surprised when they originally didn't notify me. They were the one's who tweaked me to USPS policy.

      Delete
  2. Your age has nothing to do with all of this. You be 35 and still have the reaction you did. If some company is "screwing" you around than that is it. Your age had nothing to do with it.

    ReplyDelete