Wednesday 16 September 2009

The Unbelievable Mary Travers



When I was about 12, my parents took me to see Peter Paul and Mary at Hamilton Place as part of their Reunion tour. My dad was a huge fan and had all of their recordings on vinyl. We wore those records out when I was a kid, and when I was older I replaced each and every one on CD. Since that first concert, I have been privileged to see PPM live on at least a dozen more occasions, the most memorable was when I took my own sons several years ago to Roy Thomson Hall. Mary Travers was always the centre of the group. With her pitch perfect nasal harmonies, trademark blond flip of the hair, and true passion, she was able to convey the message of the songs with unmatched eloquence. I feel like a part of my childhood died this evening. May her memory be forever a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment