Tuesday 17 March 2020

Musings from Self-Isolation

Self-isolation Diary

Day 1

I thought that it might help my nerves to keep a log of my thoughts and ideas over the next two weeks of self-isolation. While I am in most ways an introvert and usually not really all that uncomfortable staying in my cocooned space, there is the sense that because I can't go out, I really want to go out. It's like the mantra to stop touching your face. How many of you really want to scratch your nose right now? C'mon. You know you do. 

At this moment, I am sitting on shpilkes as I await the news that my parents' flight from Florida has arrived. The flight did leave on time and the good news is that they will be arriving home today. Thank you to everybody who has offered help to both them and us. While we were on the road yesterday, we had several offers of lodging from American friends along our route. While we obviously didn't take them up on it, I can't tell you how much it meant to both The Husband and me. "Wherever you go there is indeed always someone GUCI" and to our family in Cleveland, your call, while we were on the road, meant everything to us during what was an incredibly challenging time. Thank you doesn't seem nearly enough.

For those of you asking, the land border at the Peace Bridge in Buffalo was the quietest I have ever seen it. Yes, we travelled with NEXUS but most Canadians seem to be paying heed to the non-essential travel requests. Is it perfect? Probably not, but the border agent was a disembodied voice coming through a monitor and we never had a face to face contact. This was in stark contrast to the tollbooth agents in both West Virginia and New York state where not only were they ungloved and unmasked, they were fumbling with change. We told them to keep it and carried on. Yes, we were asked to self-isolate when we arrived and yes, we were asked about any symptoms. I realize that none of these measures are going to calm our frayed nerves but it was better than I expected.

America is so far behind the Canadian response that it is positively frightening. The president is a colossal moron and his ridiculous self-aggrandizing messaging of the last four weeks has gotten in the way of real action to help mitigate the spread. Watching his narcissistic press conferences and the bowing down of the sycophants to praise der leader has been positively nauseating. And the stupidity is contagious, at least in South Florida. People are selfishly hoarding supplies and yet, they are still heading to the malls, beaches, and restaurants. And...the lineups at gunshops are particularly unnerving. I worry about what might be coming in the next few weeks.

At this very moment, I am watching an update from the Ontario provincial health officials and the professionalism and accuracy of their updates and answers are in stark contrast with what I saw in the U.S. There isn't a single politician at the table and they are separated by the required social distance recommendations. Each person has their own microphone and the press is composed, polite, and asking follow up questions when needed. Again, compared to the squashed gathering around a single mic with the asshole-in-chief at the front is stunning. There are no handshakes, no elbow bumps, and no praising of any elected official. It is strictly a relaying of information and answering questions. It feels positively sane.

I am also going to say something that may shock my friends. I am heartened by the response, communication, and cooperation by every level of government. I am usually the first to criticize Justin Trudeau and his bullshit nonsense, Doug Ford and his minions of idiots, and Mayor John Tory and his incrementalism but I am wholly impressed by the response of all these men to do exactly as health officials are telling them. There is a lot of chatter on social media about the slow responses of our governments but I will take the calm exuded by these leaders over the shitstorm and political blame game that is happening to the south. Mistakes will be made. I'm certain of it. But, they are doing the best they can with the information given to them at any given hour. None of these men are acting as though their political careers or their egos matter more than the public good and for that, I am a grateful citizen. There is also a moratorium on stupidity. Every one of our leaders is letting science and medicine be their guide. It may not be perfect but it is sane.

There will be a great deal more to deal with over the coming weeks and our self-isolation is just beginning. It is difficult to imagine a Pesach without our big family seder but that is now a reality. It is my hope to try and figure out a way to connect us all for at least parts of it and I will be spending part of my downtime over the next few days to attempt to find some solutions.

For a few things to keep you busy over the next few days, I urge you to check out some of your favourite music artists on Facebook. Susan Werner is giving Facebook Live concerts every Sunday at 7:00pm until the crisis is over. The Indigo Girls are doing the same this Thursday evening. John Legend is also doing an unplugged Facebook Live. The Metropolitan Opera and some Broadway shows are doing online productions. Google them.

I have a librarian friend who is asking her Facebook list to share what they are reading. What a lovely idea! In order to help with isolation and mental health issues, synagogues, churches, and mosques are reaching out online to check in with their members. Using these resources can make an isolated person feel less alone and can help vulnerable individuals.

For now, I just want to thank everybody who has offered to buy us groceries, bring us toilet paper, making sure that we are healthy, and just reaching out. I will never again take my large family and circle of friends for granted. Love you all even though I can't hug you.

Wash your hands, don't touch your face, be kind, stay safe.








No comments:

Post a Comment