Friday 20 March 2020

Musings From Isolation-Day 4

Day 4

I miss my kids.

I know that many of you who live great distances from family can understand my longing. Facetime is a nice compromise but nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing can replace a hug. We haven't seen Older Son in person since November and it's been over a month for Younger Son, His Beshert, and the Grandbaby. 

I miss my kids.

Molly is just starting to become a real character who, not only knows us but asks for us by name. To not be able to visit with and hug the stuffing out of that little human right now is excruciatingly difficult.

Especially now.

Now when we need human contact more than ever, we are told to be distant. Now when we need to hug each other so hard it feels like we might suffocate, we are told to stay away. It is almost unbearable to think that the best and safest thing we parents and grandparents can do for our families right now is to stay away from them, to not touch them, to not offer in-person help and comfort. 

But...stay away we will, for their sake as well as ours. For their health as well as ours. For their futures and our continued presence in each other's lives. We will stay at home. 

But...

I miss my kids.

A few random thoughts.

My hair is longer right now than it has been at any time since the 1970s. I have been mostly tying it up but I feel that I am far too old to be wearing a ponytail. I may end up looking like a Sonny-era Cher by the time this is all over.

I have been restricting most sugar and carbs for almost a year but I unabashedly dove into an unopened bag of black licorice last night. As that wonderful philosopher John Prine once said, "Father forgive us for what we must do." By the way...it was delicious and so needed. Everybody give yourself a break on food right now. Eat mostly healthy, but a little chocolate couldn't hurt.

A bit of anger welled up in me today when I saw that EB Games here in Toronto is opening several of their stores in order to release a new video game. Really??? What the actual fuck? Young gamers are lined up by the hundreds to get games that they pre-ordered. You'd think this company could have found an alternate method of delivery? Hey, young bros. STAY THE FUCK HOME! It's a fucking game, not the cure for COVID-19!  I'm hoping that the city ends this nonsense and soon.

Today's music break is me, long hair and all. Don't feel obligated to listen. I recorded this for Molly. It is our bedtime song. It isn't the best I've ever played or sounded but it matters a lot to me.


Wash your hands, don't touch your face, be kind, stay healthy.

Shabbat Shalom for all who observe.

1 comment: