General Tso's Tempeh
1 8 ounce packages of tempeh
¼ cup cornstarch
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
1/4 cup olive oil
General Tso's Sauce
Olive Oil (drizzle for the pan)
2 tsp ginger, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ cup vegetable broth
2 TB Tamari Sauce (or soy sauce)
2 TB tomato paste
1 TB rice vinegar
1 TB vegan hoisin sauce
2 TB maple syrup
1. Preheat a steaming pan.
2. Cut the tempeh package into half or thirds.
3. Steam the tempeh chunks for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cut the tempeh into bite size chunks. (You can stop here if you prefer not to fry your tempeh and skip to the sauce prep instructions).
4. Mix the cornstarch, garlic powder, and paprika and pour into a plastic bag.
5. Lightly coat each piece of tempeh with the cornstarch mixture, shaking off any excess.
6. Preheat a skillet on medium heat.
7. When hot, coat the bottom of the pan with oil.
8. Add the tempeh pieces.
9. Cook the tempeh until golden brown. When crispy, remove from pan.
1. Using the same pan, and add a drizzle more oil and toss in the fresh garlic and ginger.
2. After a few minutes, mix veggie broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tomato paste, hoisin sauce, and maple syrup in the pan with the garlic and ginger.
3. Add the tempeh and stir to coat each piece with sauce.
4. Turn down the heat and saute for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Serve with brown rice or rice noodles.