Thursday 20 May 2010

Nobody Here But Us Chickens!

I have officially seen it all. I didn't think it was possible to still surprise me, but I have once again been proven hopelessly wrong. Today a chicken wandered right up onto my front lawn and made himself (herself??) at home smack dab in the middle of the North Jewish Ghetto. The cynic in me would like to imagine that he/she is wandering around the neighbourhood offering her services for some upcoming Shabbos meal, but the vegetarian that is me is hoping that the old lady across the street doesn't come flying across the street with a cleaver and a soup pot. I swear to you-a chicken. A red-feathered, comb wearing, high strutting chicken. The Husband has taken to calling him General Tao and Younger Son chimed in with the inevitable "Why did the chicken cross the road jokes". I am still flabbergasted that a chicken is head-bobbing across my suburban lawn.

Several years ago, the man at the corner used to keep chickens for eggs, but he and his wife sold out five years ago and took the hens with them. From where did this bird materialize? Somebody's pet, perhaps? But honestly! Who keeps a Rhode Island Red as a pet?

This neighbourhood is home to much wildlife. Deer, skunk, racoons, the dreaded and hated squirrel, but I can categorically state, this is our first wild chicken. Maybe she will pay us rent in eggs. Check out the pictures.







2 comments:

  1. OMG!! Capture him/her - I want it as a pet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable! Apropos your Avian surprise, Jesse claimed he heard a loon in our yard. I must apologize to him for calling him a moron.......maybe he did.

    ReplyDelete