Wednesday 1 October 2008

Life has its Moments!!

I realize that I spend a great deal of time in this space ranting, raving, and wildly gesticulating! (even if you cannot always see my arms flailing about like a maniac!!) I figured that in the spirit of the New Year, it might be nice if I were to name just a few things that remind me of the upside of life. So, just for today, I promise no political horror shows or stupidity. Just for today, I am relishing in life's small pleasures and treasures. I promise to return to my curmudgeonly self tomorrow!!

1. Chocolate is a given. Never has so little provided so much satisfaction to so many! On even my worst days, a small bit of extra dark is a God-send!

2. Pete Seeger. The man is 89 years young and he released a brand-spanking new album yesterday. If you were fortunate enough to catch Letterman on Monday night, you saw this almost nonogenarian singing to a live audience with his grandson and a small band, and he was actually teaching a new song!! Teaching!!! The man is more than a legend to me. He is the reason that my music exists!! Way to go Pete.

3. Having my boys home for a few days has been a extra-special treat. I truly believe that they are where they are supposed to be, and I am not having all of the separation anxiety that is supposed to accompany the empty-nest syndrome, but I will admit that I loved them being here for the holiday. They are truly my pride and joy and the proof that God smiles on me.

4. Paul Newman. I believe that the world lost much more than a fine actor this week. We lost a true philanthropist who truly lived by his ideals. If you need more, check out Maureen Dowd's column today. She says it far better than I ever could. Anyway, was there ever a better or more smoldering performance than Mr. Newman's "Brick" in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? I think not!!

5. The wonderful people of my community. This week, I witnessed hundreds of people join together in song, spirituality and prayer--and mean every word!! There were volunteers that worried about shlepping, sound equipment, silver polishing, shlepping, organization, shlepping, ark building (not the Noah kind!!), shlepping and more shlepping. We joined together to solve problems and take care of our most vulnerable. This week, I posed a technical issue to the husband and he came through like a trooper, as he gave my congregation the ability to webcast for our sick and infirmed. This week we were all there for each other.

6. Celestial Seasonings Honey Lemon Ginseng Green Tea! This is a magic elixir that I swear by and truly enjoy. It helps calm my voice and my nerves, and I have become slightly addicted. The unfortunate part is that I have misplaced my travel cup. I think I left it at our service location, so if any of you fine readers saw or picked up a long and lean pink cup with hearts on it, I would really like it back. My tea just doesn't taste the same in any other vessel.

7. Family, food and good friends. If there was ever a question that I have been truly blessed, I realize it all the more at this time of year. Love and thanks never seem enough, so I will have to hope that you all know how I feel about all that we are and all that we do.

Shana Tova everyone! May the coming year provide you with the small treasures and loving pleasures that life offers us every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment