Welcome back all you mockers of stupidity! You would think that we have seen it all, but then something new and unforeseen pops up and rears it's ridiculously stupid head. Maybe if we all just humbled ourselves a wee bit and stopped believing in our own PR, we would realize that in the end, that we take ourselves way too seriously. Perhaps that is why there is so much stupid in the world. People taking themselves way too seriously end up instead, looking like the business end of a horse. So, here we go!!
1. As the Stupid in Chief left his final G8 summit in Japan last week, he offered these parting words to British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and French President Nicholas Sarkozy. "Goodbye, from the world's biggest polluter," he said punching the air and grinning as the two European leaders looked on in disbelief. The man is so disconnected from reality it is truly shocking. We should be used to his playing golf while the world burns or disappearing for five week vacations while men and women are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, but his level of compartmentalization seems to be hitting new heights. As the stock market plunged this week and gas and food prices rose, the dillweed in the Oval office was seen playing T-ball!!! It gets more stupid by the week.
2. As if it weren't bad enough to have the leader of the world's only superpower mocking his administration's do-nothing environmental policy and ducking the tough questions on the economy, his hopeful successor was following way too closely in his president's shoes. John McCain was trying to show off his humourous and folksy side by telling what he thought was a witty anecdote. "Did you hear the one about the woman who is attacked on the street by a gorilla, beaten senseless, raped repeatedly and left to die? When she finally regains consciousness and tries to speak, her doctor leans over to hear her sigh contently and to feebly ask, 'Where is that marvelous ape?'" So, apparently McCain thinks that women enjoy getting beaten and raped. I think that it is time that these idiots started realizing that unless you can be sure that you are funny, decorum might be the best tact for somebody running for president. I don't think that the world could take 4-8 more years of inferred stupidity! Bob Cesca at The Huffington Post says it far better than I ever could!
3. As the husband was driving north on Yonge Street today, he noticed a disturbing new sign. Right next to the Starbucks at Yonge north of Centre was notification that the Gates of Zion was moving in next door. For those of you who need some background, the Gates of Zion is a messianic Jewish organization--in other words, Jews for Jesus! Their website states their mandate quite clearly: "Opening the Eyes of the Jewish People Worldwide to the Light of the Messiah." It takes big giant brass ones to open such a storefront in the heart of the north Jewish ghetto, but that is their expressed point, to show the world that one can only be Jewish with the acceptance of Jesus as the Messiah, and recruit as many followers as possible. Let me make myself perfectly clear: these people are Christians!!! Nothing wrong with that, but touting themselves as Jews is an affront to me and every other observant Jew!! Jews do not accept Jesus as the Messiah in any recognized form of the religion. These people are attempting to further obfuscate already confused and searching young people with their double speak about a Judaism/Jesus symbiosis. The Jews for Judaism guys are usually right behind these people to debunk their stupidity. One can only hope that they have already rented space across the street.
4. This week, Miss USA competed along with dozens of other young women in the Miss Universe pageant. While I would not normally give a beauty pageant even a few lines of consideration, the young woman representing the US had to feel plenty stupid when this happened to her! The funny thing is, is that the exact same thing happened to her predecessor wearing the Miss USA crown last year! Maybe these women should rethink the stupid shoes they wear.
5. There is word today that the US census bureau has decided in their ultimate wisdom, that even though gay marriage is now legal in two states, these marriages will not be counted as legitimate in the 2010 census. Citing the 1996 federal Defense of Marriage Act, the bureau says they are barred from counting these absolutely legal marriages. They say that they will attempt to count same-sex couples as before, but those who state that they are married will be re-classified as "unmarried same-sex partners." Same-sex couples with no children will not be classified as families, according the bureau's policy. Those with children who are related to the head of the household will be classified as families. When will these right-wing bureaucrats realize that they can't just wish gay people back into the closet. Up here in the frigid north, we have been celebrating same-sex marriages for more than five years now and guess what? The sky hasn't fallen, the locusts have ravaged the earth and the world is still spinning on it's axis!!! Get over it, already. Celebrate love, commitment and family and dispel stupidity and outright hatred and bigotry in all forms.
6. Finally, it is difficult to end this week's sound bites without some mention of the Barack Obama New Yorker cover. While I agree that the cover art itself features some very disturbing and obviously racist images, (intended or not-the pictures were gross characatures) anyone who has ever read the New Yorker has to know that this was an obvious attempt at satire. The problem with satire is that you are going by the assumption that your audience is in on the joke and is wise enough and educated enough to understand your sense of humour. The editors at the New Yorker had to know that they were not dealing with the most educated of populous. These were the people that voted twice for W! Not only that, in these days of nanosecond news bites, the images are the things that stay with people and are remembered, not the stories. While the story was most definitely satirical, the cover art was disturbing and the judgement at the New Yorker was questionable at best. Maybe not entirely stupid, but borders on the brink!
Shabbat Shalom to all who observe!!