Sunday 29 March 2020

Musings from Self-Isolation-Day 13

Day 13

Our closest friends have been holding a weekly Zoom get together the last two Saturdays. It has been a way to keep in touch, share our stories, and to see each other's faces. It can be a bit of a messy free-for-all when everybody is unmuted but our normal interactions in real life can also be a bit of a messy free-for-all when everybody is unmuted. It's who we are and I love every single one of these wackos, idiosyncrasies and all. I hope that they can say the same about me. It has been a lovely break from the monotony to see them and virtually hug them.

We have been sharing self-isolating distractions like Netflix viewings and book suggestions. I am grateful for whatever everybody is reading or watching but here's the thing, I am finding sustained levels of concentration difficult in the CoVid-19 world. I have been listening to a book on Audible while exercising but the truth is that a book that in normal times should have taken a few days to read is taking me two weeks. And don't even ask me to read anything visually that requires the sit-power of longer than the average television commercial. I simply don't have the ability right now. Even these posts are "write and pace" ordeals. Basically, I write three words and then pace for three minutes. It is a combined mental and physical workout.

I wondered if anybody else was struggling with concentration issues. I am seriously impressed by those out there who are able to hunker down and write the "Great Canadian Novel" right now with their hours of free time, but I am wrestling to achieve even five minutes of sustained attentiveness. I have repeatedly read about how Shakespeare wrote King Lear during the quarantine of London during the Black Plague and I honestly wonder about his mental health during that time. I mean, have any of you seriously read King Lear?  It's the story of a man slowly descending into madness. Shakespeare had to have been writing his now-considered masterpiece as a self-isolating journal. Of this, I am certain.

Some random thoughts.

As I begin to source and put together our family's virtual Passover seder for Zoom, I am realizing that the average screen attentiveness quota is about thirty minutes. I am looking for any seder-relevant readings that use these odds times and ties it to a section of the seder. Handwashing is a perfect example. The funnier the better. Please send them my way. You can post links in the comment section here or on my Facebook post.

For my friends who watched our synagogue's group Havdallah and music share last evening, I want it understood that I was NOT the anonymous highest bidder of the toilet paper with Agent Orange's face embossed on it. I know many of you thought it was me and, believe me, I wanted to buy it. I had my fingers on the chat to do it and was all ready to type, but The Husband stopped me. I wanted to use it to post "unusual" photos with it. I had some interesting ideas but, alas...somebody else will have to keep you all entertained.

I have noticed something really odd about the interactions on these posts. It seems that the more I swear like a sailor on leave, the more people seem to read. The kinder, gentler version of Dawn seems to drive traffic down. What is up, people? Do I have to cuss you all out for you to read? Maybe if I call you all a bunch of...nope not today.

Today's music break is an apology from yesterday's music break. A dear friend pointed out that given my post yesterday about Proverbs and our discussion during Shabbat morning Torah study, I really should have posted the Indigo Girls classic song, Strange Fire. It was my self-isolation brain that really fucked that up and he was correct, I should have, so I am today.




Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. Be kind. Stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment