Saturday 11 August 2012

Al Keyn Yesh Adonai B'makom Hazeh...

Today I stood at the top of a mountain and I had a giraffe eat right from my hand. How does one top experiences like that?

At the summit of Pike's Peak I had a John Denver moment. I talked to God and listened for his casual reply. Al Keyn yesh Adonai B'makom hazeh v'anochi lo yadati. (Surely God is in this place, but I did not know!) I saw the world from its precipice and I believe that this might be the place that heaven and earth actually touch. It was one of the most intensely spiritual moments I have had in a very long time. Those of you who know me well know that this is not a word that I throw around easily nor carelessly.

And...then....there were the giraffes. Who would have thought that the simple act of feeding lettuce to these magnificent creatures (vegetarian, by the way!) would fill me with such wonder and reverence. I pet their noses and allowed their tongues to run across my hands. It was awe-inspiring.

It would be very easy to get blasé about a day like today. I choose to remember it as one of the rare ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment