1. If W would take some summer vacay then people like me would have nothing to write about! This week at a private fundraiser in Houston, dumbass, thinking that the cameras and recorders were switched off said the following: "There's no question about it. Wall Street got drunk -- that's one of the reasons I asked you to turn off the TV cameras -- it got drunk and now it's got a hangover. The question is how long will it sober up and not try to do all these fancy financial instruments." Huh? George was also caught laughing and rollicking over what he perceived as a big giant "FUNNY"!! Mr. President, millions of people have lost their homes and their life savings. The job market is at it's worst since the Great Depression, and banks are failing with regularity. Gas prices are in the stratosphere and food prices are following along in step and you think it is funny? 1:20:09! Can't come soon enough.
2. Yesterday, the husband and I made another trek down to St. Mickey's for some follow-up to the minor inconvenience of a few weeks ago. We were left waiting over two hours for an x-ray and check-up appointment. When the husband arrived upstairs after finally completing the imaging, the nurses were stunned at the back up in x-ray and could not fathom what was happening down there. Nothing was untoward as far as the hospital was concerned and the doctors and nurses in the clinic were waiting around for their patients to arrive. When will medical personal realize that the patient's time is just as valuable as theirs? We shouldn't have had to book an entire day for a 15 minute appointment. Now most of us can fully understand emergencies take precedent, but this was not the case. There was no emergency. Just a bunch of people standing around twiddling their thumbs. This was truly stupid and a waste of money!!
3. This week saw what I am certain is the first in a long line of hurricanes this season, when Dolly hit the Texas Gulf Coast. The category 1 storm packed fierce winds and rains and forced residents from their homes and business. Entire cities were boarded up and evacuated, save a few network TV idiots. Why is it that every single time that one of these horrific storms hit, the networks shuttle some poor schnook of a weather person down to stand outside in the eye of the hurricane to report how miserable it is? There they are, clad in their inappropriate rainwear, tilting at a 45 degree angle because of the wind and hanging on for dear life, as mailboxes, trees and other debris fly down the streets behind them. This is not news!! This is outright stupidity!!
4. Have you ever noticed the absolutely stupid manner in which the police speak when they are being interviewed by the media? "The person of interested got into an altercation when exiting the location in question. The suspect fled on foot and was believed to have entered the establishment several blocks away. Projectiles were exchanged and the suspect was finally subdued! He was transported to a local area hospital for treatment. Identities are pending." What he really meant to say was there was a fight at this bar and the asshole ran away from the cops into a building up the street. Gunfire was launched until they shot the bastard and he was taken to hospital. They still don't know who he is!!! What is wrong with plain language from our service people? Take a listen sometime, they sound really stupid!!
5. This little item was in the fashion and style section of yesterday's New York Times! Entire bridal parties going for botox, injectables and in, in some extreme cases, plastic surgery! Many times this is at the behest of the bride and in some instances, paid for by the bride. While many bridesmaids are happy to have a little freshening done, there are those who think that this "standing up business" is being take just a bit too far.
But for every accommodating pal, there’s another who feels going under the knife is beyond the duty of bridesmaid. Becky Lee, 39, a Manhattan photographer, declined when a friend asked her — and five other attendants — to have their breasts enhanced. “We’re all Asian and didn’t have a whole lot of cleavage, and she found a doctor in L.A. who was willing to do four for the price of two,” said Ms. Lee, who wore a push-up bra instead.
Now, far be it from me to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do to themselves in order to feel better. I have no issue with anybody taking it upon themselves to "freshen up" their look. When it is dictated by some "Bridezilla" however, it is another story all together! I am fairly certain that I don't want or need my supposed friend pointing out my facial wrinkles, sagging boobs or crow's feet! I think that this stupidity could certainly end a friendship!
6. In two weeks, Beijing will welcome the world to it's first summer Olympic Games. While there is truly much to be written and said about these Games, I think that I will save that for a later post. What I will comment on, is the lament that these could have been Toronto's games. Thinking back ten years ago, my fair city finished second in the voting to the Chinese capital. At the time, many things were stack against us, including the IOC's desire to bring the games to Asia and a political climate here in Canada that saw anti-poverty groups work against the Toronto bid. If only they had shut up and hoped for the games. Here we are 10 years later without the promised housing, transportation systems, the Gardiner is still being debated and the waterfront is still undeveloped. Our infrastructure would have been upgraded and our roads would have been repaired. There would be the promised link to Pearson and the Eglinton subway would never have been mothballed! Without the Olympics, Toronto is just another 10 years older with the same problems it had before the games were awarded to Beijing! And, we still are fighting about how to fix all this shit and who is going to pay for it! Talk about stupid!!
Shabbat Shalom to all who observe! Let's hope for some sunshine this weekend!!